‘Making’ (adoption) of the Neighbourhood Plan
The Stoke Ferry Neighbourhood Plan was passed at referendum on 24 August 2023 (see below). 94% of votes case supported adoption of the Neighbourhood Plan, meaning that the Borough Council is obliged to ‘make’ (adopt, or bring into legal force) the Plan. The Adoption Statement is available to download below:
‘The ‘made’ Stoke Ferry Neighbourhood Plan and supporting Design Codes document are available to download/ view through the link below.
The local referendum for the Parish of Stoke Ferry, to determine whether the Stoke Ferry Neighbourhood Plan 2022-2036 should be made (adopted) by the Borough Council, was held on 24 August 2023.
The Stoke Ferry Neighbourhood Plan was successfully passed at referendum, with 94% of votes cast in favour. The result can be viewed here.
The referendum information pack and supporting appendices are available to download below:
- Referendum Information Pack
- Appendix 1A – Stoke Ferry Neighbourhood Plan 2022-2036 referendum version, August 2023
- Appendix 1B – Stoke Ferry Design Codes
- Appendix 2 – Examiner’s Report
- Appendix 5 – Decision Statement (June 2023)
Further details about the Neighbourhood Plan referendum can be found on our Neighbourhood Planning referendums page.
Stoke Ferry Parish Council and the Borough Council accepted all the Examiner’s recommendations that represent a material change to the Plan. The modifications proposed by the Examiner are set out in Appendix 1 of the Decision Statement alongside the Borough Council’s decision (supported by the Parish Council) in response to each recommendation and the reasons for them. The Decision Statement, issued on 14 June 2023, can be viewed below.
The Decision Statement, issued under Regulation 18A, allows the Neighbourhood Plan to proceed to referendum.
Publication of Neighbourhood Plan Examiner’s Report
The Neighbourhood Plan Examiner’s Report was published on 15 May 2023. The Examiner concluded that, subject to a series of recommended modifications set out in his Report, the Stoke Ferry Neighbourhood Plan meets all the necessary legal requirements and should proceed to referendum. The Examiner’s report is available to view through the following link.
The Neighbourhood Plan will now proceed to referendum, which it is anticipated will take place in July. Documentation regarding the referendum will be added to this page in due course.
Neighbourhood Plan examination
In January 2023, the Borough Council, in agreement with Stoke Ferry Parish Council, appointed Andrew Matheson to examine the Stoke Ferry Neighbourhood Plan. The examination will test whether the Neighbourhood Plan fulfils the basic conditions, that the Plan:
- Has regard to national policies and advice contained in guidance issued by the Secretary of State;
- Contributes to the achievement of sustainable development;
- Is in general conformity with the strategic policies of the development plan in the area;
- Is compatible with European Union (EU) obligations and European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR); and
- Does not breach the requirements of Chapter 8 of Part 6 of the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2017.
The Neighbourhood Plan examination finished on 15 May 2023, upon receipt of the Examiner’s Report. Other examination documents are available to view through the following links:
- Parish/ Borough Council response to Examiner’s follow-up enquiries, 18 April 2023
- Parish/ Borough Council response to Examiner’s opening enquiries. 21 March 2023
- Examiner’s opening enquiries, 26 February 2023
- Parish Council comments on Regulation 16 representations
Submission of Plan Regulation 15/Regulation 16 consultation
Stoke Ferry Parish Council submitted their Neighbourhood Plan to the council in August 2022 in accordance with the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012, Regulation 16. On 5 September 2022 the Borough Council signed off the Regulation 15 legal check, allowing the Plan to be consulted upon under Regulation 16.
The consultation ran for six weeks from Friday 30 September 2022 until 5pm Friday 11 November 2022.
Representations in response to the Regulation 16 consultation may be viewed through our online portal. The following responses were appended to those shown on the portal:
- Borough Council (officer comments)
- Anglian Water
- Historic England
- Natural England
- Norfolk County Council
The Neighbourhood Plan and other submission documents are available below:
Full details about the statutory consultation (including the basic conditions) are set out in the statutory Public Notice.
- Stoke Ferry Data Profile, February 2020
- Housing Needs Assessment, November 2020
- Stoke Ferry Design Codes, June 2022
The draft Stoke Ferry Neighbourhood Plan was published in March 2022 and consulted upon by the Parish Council between 17 March – 9 May 2022, inclusive, under the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012, Regulation 14.
Prior to publication of the draft Neighbourhood Plan, the Borough Council (on behalf of Stoke Ferry Parish Council, the qualifying body) undertook SEA/ HRA screening, including engagement with the Environment Agency, Historic England and Natural England. The completed SEA/ HRA screening report is available to view here.