How we collect and use information so that the services you request can be delivered effectively and efficiently
When you use our website we collect and analyse data so that we can improve our services. We act as the data controller. In this role we’re committed to protecting your privacy and processing your data in accordance with data protection legislation; this includes:
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2016
- the Data Protection Act 2018
We’ll process your information lawfully, fairly and transparently and in accordance with GDPR protection principles. We have appropriate measures in place to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. Your information will be stored securely.
To find out more, and to view our full Data Protection Policy, please visit our Data Protection page.
Why we collect your data
We may collect your data, as permitted by law, for a number of reasons including:
- to enable us to process a statutory service
- to enable us to carry out a duty or task in the public interest
- where it’s necessary for the performance of a contract
- where you’ve given consent
Each council department has a policy that outlines how they deal with personal information. The policy includes:
- the reasons we use your data
- why we’re allowed to use your data
- who we can share your data with
- when computers might make automated decisions about you
You can view the policies below:
- Electoral Services
- Accounting and Finance
- Information Technology
- Legal Services (Eastlaw)
- Environmental Services
- Planning Services
- Democratic Services
- Revenues and Benefits
- Employees, workers and contractors
- Employees, workers and contractors (Alive Management)
- Care and Repair
You can find out how we retain your data on our Records Retention and Disposal Policy.
You have the right to ask us to delete your data at any time. But if at any point you’re unhappy with how we’re handling your data, you have the right to lodge a complaint. Please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office to make your complaint.