Information on the Heacham Parish Council's proposed neighbourhood development plan
The Heacham Neighbourhood Plan was passed at referendum on 16 June and ‘made’ (adopted) by the Borough Council on 30 June 2022. The Heacham Neighbourhood Plan, together with other completed Neighbourhood Plans is available through the link below.
Heacham Parish Council have independently prepared a proposed neighbourhood development plan. It's intended to guide development in Heacham Parish and provide criteria (alongside the Borough Council’s Local Plan) for decisions on planning applications there.
A submission consultation on the neighbourhood plan is running for 8 weeks, from 6 April to 1 June 2021. It can be accessed using the button below. To view the proposed neighbourhood plan please see the 'Supporting Files' tab under ‘About this consultation’ to open the pdf links.
We have to manage the process by which the Parish Council’s proposed plan is checked for compliance with national requirements. Comments received are used by an independent examiner and the Borough Council to help decide if the proposed neighbourhood plan:
- contributes to achieving sustainable development
- conforms with the strategic policies of the (Borough Council’s) Local Plan
- gives appropriate regard to the National Planning Policy Framework
- is compatible with EU obligations
If the plan successfully passes these tests, a local referendum will be held. And if the plan is supported by more than 50% of the votes, it will become part of the official 'development plan' for Heacham Parish.
With the agreement of the Qualifying Body, Mr Andrew Ashcroft, was appointed as the independent examiner for the Heacham Neighbourhood Plan.
All the responses to the regulation 16 consultation have been forwarded to the examiner for consideration.
- Heacham Neighbourhood Development Plan - Final Examiners Report - 17/09/21
- Heacham Neighbourhood Development Plan - Examination Arrangements - 07/06/21
- Heacham Neighbourhood Development Plan - Clarification Note - 17/06/21
- Heacham Neighbourhood Development Plan – Parish Council response to Clarification Note – 17/06/21
- Heacham Neighbourhood Development Plan - Second Clarification Note - 30/07/21
- Heacham Neighbourhood Development Plan - Parish Council Response to Second Clarification Note- 10/08/21
Heacham Parish Council and the Borough Council accepted nearly all of the Examiner’s recommendations. However a small number of the Examiner’s modifications, regarding policy 11 (Holiday accommodation), policy 15 (Dark Skies) and Policy 17 (Settlement breaks and supporting text) were not accepted by the Borough Council and Parish Council. Accordingly, a further focused “Consultation on the Proposed Modifications of the Examiners Recommendations” was undertaken by the Borough Council from 29 October – 10 December 2021, to allow the Neighbourhood Plan to depart from the Examiner’s modifications.
This did not give rise to any substantive objections and the Plan was approved to proceed to referendum:
Following publication of the Decision Statement (above), the Heacham Neighbourhood Plan was subject to a local referendum held on Thursday 16 June.
The referendum information pack and supporting appendices are available to download below:
- Referendum Information Pack
- Appendix 1 - Heacham Neighbourhood Plan referendum version
- Appendix 2 - Examiner's Report
- Appendix 5 - Decision Statement (April 2022)
The Heacham Neighbourhood Plan was successfully passed at referendum, with 83.3% of votes cast in favour. The result can be viewed here.
Further details about the Neighbourhood Plan referendum, can be found on our Neighbourhood Planning referendums page.
‘Making’ (adoption) of the Neighbourhood Plan
Following passage of the Heacham Neighbourhood Plan at referendum, the Borough Council is obliged to ‘make’ (adopt or bring into legal force) the Plan. The Adoption Statement and ‘made’ (published) version of the Neighbourhood Plan are available to download below: