Information on the South Wootton neighbourhood plan
South Wootton Neighbourhood Plan Review
The South Wootton Neighbourhood Plan 2015-2026 was “made” in November 2015.
In November 2021, South Wootton Parish Council decided that this required review, to bring it up to date and ensure it complied to current Local Plan and national planning policies. This review concluded in January 2023.
Making (adoption) of South Wootton Neighbourhood Plan Review 2015-2036, January 2023
The agreement of the Parish Council on 19 January allowed the Neighbourhood Plan Review to be “made” by the Borough Council. The South Wootton Neighbourhood Plan Review 2015-2036 was made (adopted) on 20 January 2023:
Neighbourhood Plan Review
When updating a neighbourhood plan there are three types of modifications which can be made. These will then determine the process the neighbourhood plan will follow. The modifications are:
- Minor (non-material) modifications to a neighbourhood plan or order are those which would not materially affect the policies in the plan or permission granted by the order. These may include correcting errors, such as a reference to a supporting document, and would not require examination or a referendum.
- Material modifications which do not change the nature of the plan or order would require examination but not a referendum. This might, for example, entail a design code that builds on a pre-existing design policy. Or a site or sites which, subject to the decision of the independent examiner, are not so significant or substantial as to change the nature of the plan.
- Material modifications which do change the nature of the plan or order would require examination and a referendum. This might, for example, involve allocating significant new sites for development.
South Wootton Neighbourhood Plan Review process (November 2021 – January 2023)
The Parish Council (Qualifying Body) was keen to ensure this was a rapid review but was not seeking any significant material changes to the content of the Plan (Vision, Objectives or policies).
South Wootton Parish Council’s initial proposals for to review the Neighbourhood Plan were presented to the Borough Council in November 2021, for consideration. In December 2021, the Borough Council provided initial feedback; that some of the proposed changes to the Plan would require examination. This prompted further discussions throughout 2022, between the Parish Council and Borough Council, regarding what a review would entail if restricted to category 1 (Minor/ non-material) modifications.
To support the Review, the Parish Council undertook a check of the Neighbourhood Plan, to confirm its compliance with the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), July 2021 update. The Parish Council’s NPPF checklist may be viewed through this link.
In January 2023, agreement was reached between the Parish Council and Borough Council as to the content of the South Wootton Neighbourhood Plan Review. All agreed amendments to the Plan are category 1 minor modifications, not requiring examination:
- Updated South Wootton Neighbourhood Plan Review 2015-2036 (strikethrough version)
- South Wootton Parish Council final acceptance of changes, 19 January 2023