Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Annual billing FAQs

Find answers to questions about your new Council Tax bill

I pay by Direct Debit – Do I need to do anything?

No – your Direct Debit details will automatically carry over to your new bill.

We'll collect your new instalments on the date shown at the bottom of your bill.

You can view and manage your Direct Debit online by registering for a MyRevenues account. This service allows you to view personalised information on your Council Tax account and/or benefit claim. You can find out more on our manage your revenues account online page.

How do I set up a Direct Debit?

Setting up a Direct Debit is quick and easy and can now be done online. To find out more, please visit our Direct Debit page.

How can I pay?

To view ways to pay, please visit our how to pay your Council Tax page

I’ve sent a cheque but not had a receipt

We no longer send receipts if you pay by cheque. And if you send your bill, we're unable to send this back.

Please don't send us your bill. Instead, clearly write your account number on the back of any cheques you send.

You can send your cheques to:

Finance Services, Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk, PO Box 26, Kings Court, Chapel Street, Kings Lynn, PE30 1PX.

Have you considered paying by Direct Debit instead? It's quick and easy. Find out more on our Direct Debit page.

How can I view my Council Tax account online?

You can register for a MyRevenues account where you'll be able to: 

  • view your balance and payment information
  • check when your next payment is due
  • view latest bills
  • set up a Direct Debit or make other changes to your method of payment
  • report a change to us online, and track the progress of your request

If you claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support you can use MyRevenues to:

  • check how much benefit you're entitled to
  • check when your next payment is due
  • view notification letters
  • report a change to us online, and track the progress of your request

Register for MyRevenues

My circumstances have changed and my bill needs updating

If you've had a change please let us know on our tell us about a change page.

If you wish to claim a discount on your Council Tax, you can check if you're eligible and apply on our discount and exemption pages.

My new bill shows a ‘balance brought forward’, but I have paid this amount

Your new bill shows your account on 21 February 2019. If you've paid after this date your payment will not show on your new bill. You don’t need to do anything; we'll update your account, and the balance brought forward will not be included in your new instalments.

I don’t agree with my Council Tax band – what can I do?

To find out more about valuation bands please visit our Council Tax banding and appeals page.

If you wish to appeal, you'll need to do so through the Valuation Office. To find out how, please visit the Valuation Office Agency website.

I live alone and want to claim the reduction for a single occupant

If you're the only person over the age of 18 in your home, you'll be entitled to 25% off your bill. We call this reduction a single person discount (SPD).

You can find out more, and apply, on our single person discount page.

The property is empty – do I get any reduction?

From 1 April 2019 there'll be a full Council Tax charge on short term empty properties. If the property has been empty for two years, there'll be a 200% Council Tax charge.

There are some circumstances where we may be able to apply a discount or exemption to an empty property. You can find out more on our empty properties page.

How is the Council Tax spent?

We collect Council Tax payments on behalf of four different organisations. More information is available from our where your Council Tax goes page.

What is the charge for the Parish?

Your Parish Council can add a charge to your Council Tax bill to pay for tasks they undertake in your Parish. 

This includes maintaining playing fields and open spaces, providing footway lighting and looking after cemeteries and graveyards.

You can find out more on our Town and Parish precept page.

What are Special Expenses?

These are charges made by us where we carry out work on behalf of your Parish Council, that would normally be done by the Parish Council themselves. 

This work includes maintaining cemeteries, town halls, playing fields, open space and footway lighting.