Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Refunds - Council Tax

Find out if you're entitled to a Council Tax refund, and how to claim it

Am I am entitled to a refund?

If a change in your circumstances results in you having overpaid, we'll issue you a revised bill. We'll also issue a refund letter confirming you're in credit and entitled to apply for a refund.

If you've registered for MyRevenues, you'll be able to view your Council Tax account balance and the payments you've made. If your account is in credit, you'll be signposted to apply for a refund via our online form. If your account is not in credit, you won't see the signpost to apply for a refund.

You can apply for a refund using our online form, where you can now track the progress of your application through registering for our MyRevenues service.

You'll also be able to view personalised information, including payment details and your latest Council Tax bill.

Registering for an account is easy and will allow you to securely access our services 24/7.

To apply for a refund online you'll need:

  • to login/sign up to MyRevenues
  • to select the refund option (only available when your account is in credit)
  • your bank details (bank account and sort code)

Apply for a refund

After you've applied

When you sign in to your MyRevenues account your refund request will show in ‘My Changes’ by the end of the following working day. Here you’ll be able to track the progress of your request.

In normal circumstances please allow up to 14 days for your refund to be paid into your bank account.