Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Single person discount

How to apply for a discount if you're the only occupant over the age of 18

What is a single person discount?

If you're the only person over the age of 18 in your home, you'll be entitled to 25% off your bill. We call this reduction a single person discount (SPD).

To apply online you'll need to login/sign up to MyRevenues, our online Council Tax and revenues account service, and complete an online form.

Your MyRevenues account will allow you to track the progress of your application, view personalised information, including payment details and view your latest Council Tax bill.

Registering for an account is easy and will allow you to securely access our services 24/7.

To apply for a single person discount you'll need:

  • to login/sign up to MyRevenues
  • your Council Tax account number (you can find this on your bill or in MyRevenues)
  • details of who has left your home, and when from (if you're a single person following on from a change)

Login to MyRevenues

Please note, if someone who normally lives with you is temporarily away from home, you won’t be entitled to an SPD. To check if you’re entitled to any other discount, please visit our people who aren’t counted for Council Tax page.

Recently moved?

To apply you need to be registered to pay Council Tax in the borough. If you've recently moved into the area please tell us using our moving form. This will notify us of your move, and you can apply for the discount at the same time. Please visit our tell us you are moving page.

After you've applied

You must continue to pay your Council Tax bill until you receive a revised one. If we don't give you the discount we'll explain why. If you're given the discount, your bill will show:

  • the date we applied the SPD
  • your new payment instalments

We aim to notify you of our decision within 21 days.


You can apply for your SPD to start from a past date (called backdating). We may need to carry out checks to verify your entitlement.