Documents that can help you set up a food safety management system
Food Safety Management System
All food businesses are required by law to have a written Food Safety Management System.
The three Food Standards authorities have developed their own variation of a documented food management system. They are:
- England - Safer Food Better Business (SFBB)
- Scotland - Cook Safe
- Northern Ireland - Safe Catering (NI)
If you're a small or medium catering businesses, any one of these documents will help you meet your legal responsibility.
You can download and print the full document yourself. Or we can print the documents for you, for a charge of £10.20. Please contact us on 01553 616200 or email Food.Safety@west-norfolk.gov.uk if you would like the documents printed, and we'll arrange to take payment from you.
You need to read through all sections, and complete all parts to make it relevant to your business.
If you're using techniques such as sous-vide and vacuum packing
If you're a small/medium manufacturer or caterer who are using techniques such as Sous-Vide and Vacuum Packing, your activities may be considered as higher risk. As a result the packs mentioned above will not be suitable for your business. Why not look at the Food Standards Agency - My HACCP tool. You can sign up to this for free. You can work your way through the document, and create yourself a full documented food safety system.
To help support your documented food safety system, we also have some additional pages you may wish to print. These include information on:
- cleaning checklist
- cooking and cooling log
- fridge/freezer temperature log
- equipment calibration log
- maintenance checklist
- pest control checklist
- delivery check sheet
And our Food Safety Posters:
- now wash your hands
- fridge storage
- freezer storage
- know your key temperatures
- safe catering
- chopping board guide
There have been additional guides produced for the following groups:
- Bed & Breakfasts (with less than 5 rooms)
- Butchers HACCP and ButcherSafe Food Safety Assurance System
- Care homes
- Cake makers guidance
Butchers HACCP plans
The HACCP pack has been written for butchers, and will help you comply with food safety law. It can be found at the bottom of the page. Food Standards Scotland has also produced their own document
Translated Food Safety Documents
The following documents are all available in English, but we've had them translated into the languages listed:
- E. coli Fact Sheet - E. coli Fact Sheet - Bengali translation, E. coli Fact Sheet - Cantonese translation, E. coli Fact Sheet - Mandarin translation, E. coli Fact Sheet - Turkish translation
- E. coli Kitchen Audit - E. coli Kitchen Audit - Bengali translation, E. coli Kitchen Audit - Cantonese translation, E. coli Kitchen Audit - Mandarin translation, E. coli Kitchen Audit - Turkish translation
- Basic HACCP - Basic HACCP - Bengali translation, Basic HACCP - Lithuanian translation, Basic HACCP - Mandarin translation, Basic HACCP - Polish translation, Basic HACCP - Portuguese translation, Basic HACCP - Russian translation, Basic HACCP - Turkish translation
- SFBB: 4 weekly review - SFBB: 4 weekly review - Bengali translation, SFBB: 4 weekly review - Traditional Chinese translation, SFBB: 4 weekly review - Portuguese translation, SFBB: 4 weekly review - Turkish translation
- SFBB: Opening Checks - SFBB: Opening Checks - Bengali translation, SFBB: Opening Checks - Traditional Chinese translation, SFBB: Opening Checks - Portuguese translation, SFBB: Opening Checks - Turkish translation