What food businesses need approval, and how to apply
Who needs approval?
Food businesses which handle products of animal origin may require 'approval', because the activities include high risk operations.
If you're involved with any of the following activities you may require approval:
- minced meat
- meat preparation
- mechanically separating meat or meat products
- live bivalve molluscs
- fishery produce
- raw milk
- dairy produce
- eggs and egg production
- frogs legs and snails
- rendered animal fats and greaves
- treated stomachs, bladders, intestines
- gelatine and collagen
- some cold stores
- some wholesale markets or distributors
- you supply products of animal origin to another food business, especially if you supply businesses outside of the local area
- your supply to businesses is greater than 25% of your business.
Who is exempt?
You'll be exempt from approval if you're only supplying the final consumer. To be exempt, you must not supply other food businesses.
Apply for approval
If you want to operate as an approved premises, you'll need to have 'prior approval' from us. This includes an approved document and a number which you apply to your products.
We require information in order to process your application. You can email us your supporting documents to EHfood@west-norfolk.gov.uk, or you can post them.
To apply for approval you'll need:
- a detailed scale plan of the proposed establishment (showing the locations used for storage and processing of raw materials, product and waste)
- a copy of your Food Safety Management System (HACCP)
- a copy of your proposed waste collection and disposal arrangements (for example, your contract)
- a copy of your proposed pest control arrangements (for example, your contract)
Once you've completed our form, please email this to EHfood@west-norfolk.gov.uk, or post to:
Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk, Kings Court, Chapel Street, King's Lynn, PE30 1EX.