Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Environmental Health

Foundation certificate in food safety (Level 2)

Find out about our Level 2 food safety training course, and how to apply

Register a food business

Who needs to register and how to register your food business

Become an approved food premises

If your food business handles products of animal origin you may need approval

Food poisoning

Who is at risk, what to do if you have symptoms of food poisoning, and how to prevent it

Food complaints

Common complaints and how to report a food issue

Cross contamination

How to avoid cross contamination and information on E. coli and allergens

Food hygiene rating scheme

How we tell if food hygiene regulations are being followed, and what the ratings mean

Food safety documentation

Information about the food safety management system, and advice for butchers, childminders and care homes

Health and safety

Information on asbestos, cooling towers and gas safety

Skin piercing and special treatments

Information for providers of skin piercing, tattoos and beauty treatments

Environmental Health business support

Help and advice for new and expanding businesses

Private water supplies

Information on private water supplies, and what to do if there’s a problem with your supply

Port health

How we ensure visiting ships are hygienic, and information on ship sanitation certificates

Flood advice

Advice on good hygiene practices following a flood

Food safety and EU transition

Prepare your business for the UK leaving the EU

Fishing vessels

Check to see if your fishing vessel needs to be registered or approved

Natasha's Law

Labelling requirements for food that is Prepacked for Direct Sale

Food deliveries

Information for food businesses providing hot and cold food deliveries

Food sampling

Information on local authorities food sampling procedures