What to do if you're leaving the armed forces and have nowhere to live, and advice for veterans
Who can help
If you're leaving the armed forces you have the right to help with finding somewhere to live.
You can get help through Bridge for Heroes and SSAFA.
They provide information and advice for you and your dependents, especially if you are about to return to civilian life. If you're a veteran currently living in armed forces housing, they can help you move out and find a civilian home.
You can find out more on the GOV.UK website.
How we can help
We may be able to help find you accommodation. It depends on if you have a:
- local connection to the borough
- priority need
You may be a priority need if:
- you're pregnant
- you've got children
- we consider you as vulnerable because of your time in the armed forces
How to apply for housing
If you'll have no-where to go when you leave the forces, please contact us:
- phone us on 01553 616200
- email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- visit us in person
If you're currently housed, but will need somewhere soon, you can apply to go on our housing register.
Other help available
You can find further information for the armed forces, veterans and their families through the following services:
- Seafarer's Advice & Information Line (SAIL) - advice service dedicated to veteran Royal Navy personnel and their families
- Royal British Legion - advice and information for all veterans and their dependents
- Veterans Aid - help for vulnerable veterans who need to find hostel accommodation