Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Young person told to leave home or homeless

What to do if you're a young person threatened with homelessness

Not safe at home

If you don't feel safe at home, there are organisations who can help.

If someone is being violent or abusive, these organisations may be able to find you a safe place to go:

  • Childline - 0800 1111 - support for children and young people (free helpline 24 hours a day)
  • Womens Aid - 0808 2000 247 - support for victims of domestic violence (free helpline 24 hours a day)
  • Shelter Emergency Helpline - 0808 800 4444 - gives information on housing (free helpline 24 hours a day)

Problems at home    

If you’re not getting on with the people you live with, you should talk to someone you trust, such as:

  • a friend
  • a teacher at school or college
  • other family members 

You could try to stay with a friend for a short while so you and your family can have a bit of time away from each other. If this doesn't help, don't leave without speaking to us first. Leaving your family home should be the last thing that you consider, especially if you have nowhere to go. Please contact us for advice on 01553 616200.

16 to 17 year olds

We may not have a duty to house 16 and 17 year olds.

If you’re 16 to 17, contact Norfolk County Council Children's Advice and Duty service (CADS) if:

  • you’re homeless
  • you’ve been told to leave your home

You can call CADS on 0344 800 8021. They'll collect sufficient information to assess your level of need. If appropriate they'll make a referral to the relevant team within Children’s Social Care for assessment. 

Over 18's

If you’re over 18 and worried about becoming homeless, contact your support worker if you have one, or our Housing Options Department if you don't.

If this doesn’t help you can contact us. Whether we'll be able to help you depends on your circumstances. You must have a local connection to the area. You can find out more on our homeless and nowhere to stay page.

If you’re pregnant or have a child 

If you have a support worker, speak to them first. 

If you don’t have a support worker, please contact us about your housing situation. You can do this on our homeless and nowhere to stay page.

You can find out further info on the Shelter website.