Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Children and family benefits

Financial support available to families

Child Benefit

If you have a child or children, you can claim Child Benefit.

  • only one person can claim
  • you may have to pay a tax charge if you or your partner’s income is over £50,000.

For more information see Child Benefit on GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit

Most people can't make a new claim for Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit and must claim Universal Credit instead.

If you already receive Tax Credits, you'll still get them but if your circumstances change, you might have to claim Universal Credit instead.

Find out more about Tax Credits on GOV.UK.

Maternity benefits

Expectant mothers can claim one of two benefits; Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance. Your employment history will determine which of these you can apply for.

For more information see Maternity Allowance on GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

Paternity pay and leave

The partner of someone who has just had a baby, or adopted a child, is entitled to one or two weeks paid paternity leave from work. Parents can also now choose to share time off work, called Shared Parental Leave.

For more information see Shared Parental Leave and Pay on GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

Sure Start Maternity Payment

This is a one-off payment to help towards the cost of having a child.

You will usually qualify if you:

  • are expecting your first child, or you’re expecting a multiple birth
  • already get certain benefits

For more information see Sure Start Maternity Grant on GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

Budgeting Loans

Families claiming certain benefits can apply for a loan to pay for essential things like:

  • clothing or footwear
  • furniture and household equipment
  • moving costs
  • repaying hire purchase debt

For more information see Budgeting Loans on GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

Other benefits

You may also be entitled to: