Financial support available for older people
The basic State Pension is a regular payment from the government that you can get when your reach State Pension age.
The age you can claim it is changing.
Pension Credit is an income related benefit. There are two forms:
- Guarantee Credit (tops up your weekly income if it is low)
- Savings Credit (an extra payment for people who have saved money towards their retirement)
You could get a Funeral Payment if you’re on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you’re arranging.
To qualify you must:
- claim in time (within 3 months of the funeral)
- be in receipt of certain benefits
- meet certain rules on your relationship with the deceased
If you’re on a low income you may be able to get help with your rent.
For more information see claim Housing Benefit.
Council Tax Support
If you’re on a low income and pay Council Tax you may be able to apply for Council Tax Support.
For more information see claim Council Tax Support.