Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Disabled people's and carers' benefits

If you are disabled or a carer, you may be able to get financial support

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people over state pension age who are physically or mentally disabled. Attendance Allowance is managed and paid by central government, to help older people live independently at home.

You can still apply even if you receive other benefits.

For more information see Attendance Allowance on GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

Carers Allowance

Carers Allowance is a payment to help you look after someone you care for.

To claim Carers Allowance you:

  • don’t have to be related to or live with the person you care for
  • must be 16 or over
  • must spend at least 35 hours a week caring

For more information see Carers Allowance on GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

You can claim PIP to help with some of the costs caused by long-term ill health or a disability.

To be claim you must be:

  • aged between 16 and state pension age
  • have a long term health condition or disability
  • have difficulties with daily living or mobility

For more information see Personal Independence Payment on GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing DLA for adults.

You’ll continue to get DLA until the Department for Work and Pensions writes to you. They will ask you to apply for PIP instead.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

DLA for children is to help with the costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • needs more looking after than a child of the same age
  • may have walking difficulties

How much money you get depends on the level of help the child needs.

For more information see Disability Living Allowance for children on GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

You might get IIDB if you’re ill or disabled from an accident or disease caused by work or while you were on an approved employment training scheme or course.

For more information see Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit for children on GOV.UK (opens in a new window)