Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Reviewing your benefit claim

We regularly review Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claims; find out what to do if we're reviewing you

Why we review

If you're in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support we may review your claim from time to time. This is to ensure that your claim details are up to date, and you're getting the correct entitlement.

Sending us evidence

When a review is due, we'll send you a letter to tell you. We'll ask you to complete our review form. You'll also need to send us evidence for you and anyone in your household of:

  • income
  • savings
  • rent (if applicable)

Examples of the type of evidence we'll accept are below:

Proof of income

You must provide proof of any income you have, such as:

  • payslips (five weekly, three fortnightly or two monthly)
  • proof of any state pension or benefit
  • proof of any private pension
  • proof of any Tax Credits
  • details of any other money coming in

Proof of savings

You must provide proof of any savings you have, such as:

  • bank statements (three months recent consecutive statements)
  • building society books
  • premium bonds and National Savings Certificates
  • details of endowment insurance policies
  • details of any other savings

Proof of rent

If you rent your home, you must provide proof, such as your:

  • tenancy agreement
  • rent book

Complete your review online

You can complete your review online. You can upload the evidence we need with the form.

To complete a benefit review online, you'll need:

  • your benefit claim number
  • your National Insurance number
  • evidence to show your income, savings and rent (if applicable)

Submit a benefit review form

What happens next?

Once we've received your form we'll review your entitlement and take account of any changes. We'll send you a benefit notification letter to let you know if the amount of benefit you receive has changed. If there has been any change to your Council Tax Support, we'll send you an up to date Council Tax bill.

Reporting changes

It's important that you tell us about any changes in circumstances as soon as they happen. If you don't you may not be paid the correct benefit, or you may be overpaid. If you've been overpaid you will need to pay it back. You can find out more on our tell us about a change page.