Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Service disruption — Due to essential maintenance, My Account personalised information and our benefit change of circumstances form will be unavailable over the weekend

Benefit fraud - Advice for employers

Advice on how we obtain information from employers, contractors and the self-employed, to help fight benefit fraud

Why we need your help

Occasionally, people who receive benefits fail to declare they're working, and receiving payment for the work. This is a criminal offence which we'll investigate.

Once we've identified that there's undeclared work, we aim to obtain the information to confirm the:

  • place of employment,
  • type of employment; and
  • payments received

We'll seek this information from those who are defined as being in an 'employment relationship' with the suspected person. This can be:

  • the employer
  • the contractor
  • a self-employed person

To find out more about how we obtain information from employers, contractors and the self-employed, please view the documents below:


If you don't think the request, or the manner in which it was requested, was reasonable, you may wish to complain.

Please direct your complaint to the manager of the officer(s) who visited, or wrote to you.

If you're not satisfied with the response, you may write to:

Executive Director Finance Services
Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk
Kings Court
Chapel Street
King’s Lynn
PE30 1EX

If you remain dissatisfied, you can refer your complaint for independent review to:

T.L.G. Ombudsman, PO Box 4731, Coventry, CO4 0EH
Tel: 0300 061 0614