Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Other benefits and agencies

How to get help in a crisis, and dealing with debt

Money in an emergency

Hardship payments

If your Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Allowance or Universal Credit has been sanctioned you can apply for hardship payments. A sanction is when your benefit stops for a temporary period.

To get a hardship payment you must:

  • be 18 or over
  • be struggling to meet your basic living needs or those of a child you're responsible for
  • have stopped spending money on non-essential things
  • have tried to get money from other sources before applying

For further information see Hardship Payments on GOV.UK.

Dealing with debt

Debt is not just a financial issue. It feeds into all elements of your life. It is important to get advice on how to start dealing with any debts you have. The National Debtline offer free trustworthy advice.

Food banks

Food banks provide emergency food to those in crisis. A food parcel will provide a minimum of three days nutritionally balanced, tinned and dried food donated by the local community.

For further information see the King's Lynn Foodbank website.

Advice services

The Money Advice Hub

The Money Advice Hub offer free, confidential debt and money advice. They can help with debt problems, including:

  • housing arrears
  • utility bill debts – gas, electricity and water
  • debt collection companies or creditors
  • hire purchase, credit card or loan arrears

For further information, see the Money Advice Hub website.

West Norfolk Advice Hub

West Norfolk Advice Hub provide housing advice as a consortium of local advice providers, led by Community Action Norfolk (CAN). This will include advice and information for people at risk of becoming homeless, trying to get on the housing list or into social housing. For further information see the Advice Hub website

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

The CAB offers free confidential advice and helps you solve problems.

The types of things the CAB can help with:

  • consumer issues
  • benefit advice
  • legal matters
  • employment issues
  • immigration

For further information see the Citizens Advice Bureau website.

Family Action

Family Action provides emotional and financial support to those who are experiencing poverty, disadvantage and social isolation.

For further information see the Family Action website.


Christians against poverty (CAP) can offer help and advice if you're trapped in debt, on a low income, or you're struggling to find work.

For further information see the CAP website.