Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Benefits - Appeal a decision

Who can appeal, how to appeal, and the Tribunal Service

What decisions can you appeal?

You may be able to appeal the decision made on your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

Some decisions, mainly administrative decisions, do not carry a right of appeal.

The decisions that do offer a right to appeal include:

  • the amount of benefit payable
  • the calculation of your income
  • the calculation of an overpayment
  • the rent eligible for benefit (Housing Benefit claims only)

Appeal your Housing Benefit decision

You must appeal within one month of the date on your decision letter.

To appeal you’ll need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your benefit claim reference number
  • to tell us why the decision is wrong, and include supporting evidence (if applicable)

Appeal your Housing Benefit decision

Ask us to reconsider your Council Tax Support decision

You must write to us within one month of the date on your decision letter.

In your letter, please tell us why you think the decision is wrong. Include any factors you feel we need to take into consideration.

Late appeals

We may be able to consider late appeals made up to 13 months from the date on your decision letter. You must give valid reasons why you did not appeal at the time.

The outcome of your appeal

We’ll write to confirm the outcome of your appeal. We may request further information from you before we make the final decision. You must provide the information within one month of the request.

If you’re successful we'll send you revised benefit entitlement letters.

If you’re unsuccessful you have one month to ask for your case to be considered by the appeals tribunal.

The Tribunal Service

If you’re not happy with the outcome of your appeal you can ask for your appeal to be looked at by an independent tribunal.

Tribunals are held locally. The Tribunals Service will write to you to tell you the date time and place of the hearing.

If either you or the Council are not happy with the decision of the Tribunal Service, an appeal can be made with the Social Security Commissioners.