Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Report benefit fraud

What is fraud and how you can report it

What is fraud?

Fraud is a criminal offence involving false claims. A person committing fraud will give false information in order to claim certain benefits. Please report suspected fraud so we can make sure the right people are getting the right benefits.

Types of fraud

The kinds of fraud to report are:

  • non-disclosure of property or capital
  • non-disclosure of income
  • non-disclosure of a partner
  • non-disclosure of other people living in a home
  • not declaring a change of address
  • false address fraud

How to report fraud

You can report Council Tax Support fraud to us. Other types of fraud should be reported to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Details of how to report fraud are below.

Council Tax Support fraud

If you think someone may be claiming Council Tax Support (CTS) when they shouldn't be you can report this to us. The details you give us will be strictly confidential.

To report CTS fraud you'll need:

  • the person's name
  • their address
  • the type of fraud you think they're committing
  • as many details you can give about the suspected fraud

Report suspected Council Tax Support fraud

If you're unable to use our online form, please contact us to report the fraud. Our contact details are at the bottom of the page.

Benefit fraud

To report suspected benefit fraud including Housing Benefit, please contact the DWP. They will look to see if they can investigate your report.

Report suspected benefit fraud via the DWP

Advice for employers

Following on from a fraud report, we can ask employers for information to help our investigations. For more information please visit our advice for employers page.

Other ways to report fraud

You can write to, email, or call us. Our contact details are below: