Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Welcome to our new website — We're adding content all the time but if there is something you can’t find, please let us know via our website feedback form

Benefit fraud

What is fraud and how you can report it

What is fraud?

Fraud is a criminal offence involving false claims. A person committing fraud will give false information in order to claim certain benefits. Please report suspected fraud so we can make sure the right people are getting the right benefits.

Types of fraud

The kinds of fraud to report are:

  • non-disclosure of property or capital
  • non-disclosure of income
  • non-disclosure of a partner
  • non-disclosure of other people living in a home
  • not declaring a change of address
  • false address fraud

How to report fraud

You can report Council Tax Support fraud to us. Other types of fraud should be reported to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Details of how to report fraud are below.

Council Tax Support fraud

If you think someone may be claiming Council Tax Support (CTS) when they shouldn't be you can report this to us. The details you give us will be strictly confidential.

To report CTS fraud you'll need:

  • the person's name
  • their address
  • the type of fraud you think they're committing
  • as many details you can give about the suspected fraud

Report suspected Council Tax Support fraud

If you're unable to use our online form, please contact us to report the fraud. Our contact details are at the bottom of the page.

Benefit fraud

To report suspected benefit fraud, please contact the DWP. They will look to see if they can investigate your report.

Report suspected benefit fraud via the DWP

Other ways to report fraud

If you're unable to use the online report form, you can report other benefit fraud by:

  • telephone - contact the National Benefit Fraud Freephone line on 0800 854 440 (if you have speech or hearing problems you can use a text phone service on 0800 328 0512)
  • post - National Benefit Fraud Hotline, PO Box 224, Preston, PR1 1GP