Find out how to comment on our Council Tax Support review
Council Tax Support
We run a scheme that provides help to people with the cost of their Council Tax bill if they're on a low income. This scheme is called local Council Tax Support.
Our Council Tax Support scheme only applies to working age people. There is a national Council Tax Support scheme for people who are pension age, and the rules are decided by central government.
Every year our Council Tax Support scheme is reviewed. We seek views from all local residents on the proposals for the coming year. You can comment on these proposals using the survey at the bottom of this page.
If you're pension age you're not affected by these proposals, but we would still welcome your views.
The current scheme
We first introduced a Council Tax Support scheme in April 2013. The principles of the scheme are:
- working age people pay 25 per cent of their Council Tax bill
- the maximum amount of capital (savings, shares etc) you can have is £6,000
- a deduction of £10 a week is made for each non-dependant in your household
- if you're self-employed we assume you earn at least the minimum wage for the hours you work
- there is no Second Adult Rebate for a dependent adult in your household
In certain circumstances you'll not be affected by the changes and we'll work out your Council Tax Support based on the national, more generous, scheme. These are known as the Protected Groups.
The Protected Groups are:
- a household with a child aged under five
- anyone entitled to the Disability Premium or the Disabled Child Premium
- anyone receiving, or entitled to receive, Carer's Allowance
- anyone receiving the support component of Employment and Support Allowance
The proposed changes
The changes we're proposing for the 2020/2021 Council Tax Support scheme mirror changes to the rules for other benefits, including Housing Benefit, Universal Credit and Tax Credits. This will keep the rules for our Council Tax Support scheme the same as other benefits people may be receiving.
The changes proposed are summarised below and explained in more detail in the Consultation Questionnaire:
- disregarding any income from the Windrush Compensation scheme, and
- disregarding any lump sum payments from the Windrush Compensation scheme
We want to hear your views on our proposals. The consultation runs from 7 October 2019 to 14 November 2019. The questionnaire is available using the link below.
The comments gathered from the consultation will be reported to Members before the final Council Tax Support scheme is agreed.
Check your entitlement
If you would like to find out how the proposed scheme may affect you, please use our Council Tax Support consultation calculator. It compares the current and proposed schemes and will give an entitlement estimate for both.