What is second adult rebate, who can claim and how to make a claim
What is Second Adult Rebate?
Second Adult Rebate is a form of Council Tax Support. Single people in a household are awarded a 25% discount off their Council Tax bill. If you do not receive this discount because a dependant adult is resident in your home, you may be entitled to Second Adult Rebate.
Who can claim
You can claim Second Adult Rebate if you have another adult living with you who:
- is not jointly liable for the Council Tax
- does not qualify for any other Council Tax discount
- does not pay rent to you
In practice this is most likely to be a grown up child still living in the family home.
Who can't claim
You won't be able to claim if:
- you are married or have a partner
- you are of working age (unless you are in a protected group)
You may be able to have your bill reduced if:
- you have at least one child under the age of five in your household
- you receive the Disability Premium or Disabled Child Premium when we calculate your weekly income allowance
- you receive the Support Component of Employment Support Allowance
- you receive or have underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance
How to claim
You can apply for Second Adult Rebate online. You can now track the progress of your claim through registering for our My Account service.
You'll be able to view personalised information, including payment details, and how much benefit you're awarded.
Registering for an account is easy and will allow you to securely access our services 24/7.
To make a claim you'll need:
- your national insurance number
and for the adult(s) living with you:
- their national insurance number
- their income and savings
We will make a decision on your claim when we have all the evidence we need. We will contact you if we need further information.
When a decision has been made you will receive a letter to confirm the outcome.
What you'll get
If you are entitled you will receive up to 25% off your Council Tax bill. The actual figure will depend on the income of the adult(s) living with you.
We will send you a letter to confirm:
- if you are entitled and from what date
- how much we have awarded you
You will also receive a revised Council Tax bill. Your amended instalments will be shown on the bottom of the bill.