Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Overpayment of Council Tax Support

What happens if you've been overpaid, how you can pay this back, and your appeal rights

What is an overpayment?

An overpayment is an amount of benefit you’ve been paid, but under statutory regulations are now not entitled to.

Overpayments usually happen following a change, and where we have not been notified in time to revise your benefit entitlement. For example, if your income has increased.

If you have a change in your circumstances, it is important to let us know straight away.

Tell us about a change

What happens if you are overpaid

We'll write to you about the overpayment. The letter will tell you:

  • the reason for the overpayment
  • how much you've been overpaid
  • the dates the overpayment relates to
  • if you have to pay back the overpayment
  • how you can appeal the decision

Paying back Council Tax Support

We'll add your overpaid benefit to your Council Tax account. You'll receive a revised Council Tax bill telling you your new instalments.

What to do if you can't pay your new instalments

Failure to keep up with your Council Tax instalments can cause us to take recovery action on your account. Contact us straight away if you’re having problems paying your Council Tax.

If you disagree with our decision

We may be able to look at the decision again. You have one calendar month from the date we told you about the overpayment to appeal. Please make your appeal in writing.

We will not start to recover the overpayment until we have made a decision on your appeal. For further information, see Appeals.