Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Appeal a Council Tax Support decision

Who can appeal, how to appeal and the Tribunal Service

What decisions are you able to appeal?

Some decisions, mainly administrative decisions, do not carry a right of appeal.

The decisions that do offer a right to appeal include:

  • the amount of benefit payable
  • the calculation of your income
  • the calculation of an overpayment

What to do if you think our decision is wrong

You must write to us within one month of the date on your decision letter. You can:

  • ask us to look at our decision again, this is called a 'request for a revision'
  • ask us to provide a written statement of reasons - this will explain how we reached our decision
  • ask for your appeal to be looked at by an independent tribunal

In your please letter tell us why you think the decision is wrong and include any factors we need to take into consideration.

We may be able to consider late appeals made up to 13 months from the date on your decision letter. You must give valid reasons why you did not appeal at the time.

The outcome of your appeal

We will write to confirm the outcome of your appeal. We may request further information from you before we make the final decision. You must provide the information within one month of the request.

If you are successful we will provide revised benefit entitlement letters.

If unsuccessful you have one month to ask for your case to be considered by the appeals tribunal.

The Tribunal Service

Tribunals are held locally. The Tribunals Service will write to you to tell you the date time and place of the hearing.

You will be asked if you wish to attend, or whether you would prefer the tribunal to look at the case without you present, known as a 'paper hearing'.

If either you or the council are not happy with the decision of the Tribunal Service an appeal can be made with the Social Security Commissioners.