Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Council Tax Support - Non-dependants

Non-dependants and how they affect your claim

Who is a non-dependant?

A non-dependant is usually someone over the age of 18 living with you. They are expected to contribute to housing and Council Tax costs, so we will take a deduction for them living in your home.

Who we will take a deduction for

Non-dependants who we may take deductions for are:

  • children who’ve left education and you no longer receive Child Benefit for
  • family members
  • friends

Who we won’t take a deduction for

We do not take a deduction if the non-dependant is:

  • aged under 18
  • on Pension Credit
  • a Youth Trainee
  • in prison or detention
  • a patient in hospital for more than 52 weeks
  • a temporary resident whose normal home is elsewhere
  • a member of the armed forces away on operations
  • a full time student during their period of study
  • a full time student during their vacation if not in paid work
  • a full time student and you or your partner are aged 65 or over
  • aged under 25 and receives:
    • Income based Job Seekers Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Income related Employment Support Allowance (assessment phase)
    • Universal Credit (without any earned income)

We do not take a deduction for any non-dependant if you or your partner:

  • are severely sight impaired or have recently regained sight
  • receive the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • receive Attendance Allowance
  • receive the daily living component of Personal Independence Payments

How much deduction will we take?

For every non-dependant living with you, we take £10 per week from your Council Tax Support, unless you are one of the following groups:

  • you have at least one child under the age of five in your household
  • you receive the Disability Premium or Disabled Child Premium when we calculate your weekly income allowance
  • you receive the Support Component of Employment Support Allowance
  • you receive or have underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance

If you are in a protected group, the amount we take will depend on the non-dependent person’s income. The decision letter we send will tell you what we are taking.

Protected non-dependant deductions for those in work
Weekly income (£) Deduction (£)
£447.40 or more £12.20
Between £360.10 and £447.39 £10.20
Between £207.70 and £360.09 £8.10
£207.69 or less £4.00
Not working £4.00