Find out about working for the council, including the benefits of working for us
Areas you could work
There is a wide variety of services which we as a council provide. This means we have a large selection of jobs which may appeal to you. Our Senior Management Team page shows the areas each Executive Director is responsible for. And will show you the variety of service areas you could work for.
We also have a business plan in place to ensure we focus our work in key areas, to make a difference to local people
Each priority within the business plan will be within each department's service plan. And in turn goes into each employee's appraisal targets. We're all working towards achieving the same goal.
To see our priorities please view our corporate business plan.
Our terms and conditions of employment include the following:
- market related salaries and performance related pay
- pension Scheme (employee and employer contribution)
- flexi time for office based staff
- 22 days Annual Leave, increased to 26 days after five years continuous local government service
- generous relocation package applicable where a new employee is moving to the area
- an active Staff Sports and Social Club
- flexible working arrangements to assist with caring responsibilities
- training and development opportunities
Training our staff
We are committed to training and developing our staff, and aim to have a well-trained and motivated team. We believe it's important to:
- keep learning; and
- take part in activities which can improve our staffs lives both in and out of work.
Training and development are provided to:
- enable staff to undertake their current job effectively
- equip staff with the knowledge, skills and qualifications they need to progress their career
Examples of supported activities include:
- day release to attend college to obtain a formal qualification
- programmes to develop managerial and supervisory skills
- short courses to give staff particular skills or knowledge
- internal secondment to help staff broaden their work experience
- providing staff with IT skills they can use at work and at home
Recruitment policies and information
The following are policies and information document linked to recruitment at the council which may be of interest to you:
- Full Equal Opportunities Policy
- Rehabilitation of Offenders Information
- Disclosure and Barring Procedure
These can be found in our document downloads below.