Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Special event vehicles

How to licence a special event vehicle such as a wedding car

What is a special event vehicle?

A special event vehicle is one that is solely used for special events such as weddings. It cannot be used for everyday private hire. Examples are:

  • a stretch limousine
  • a vintage vehicle
  • an executive vehicle

Before you apply

Before you apply, your vehicle must pass an MOT test carried out by one of our approved testing stations:


You can apply for a vehicle licence online. You can now track the progress of your application through registering for our My Account service.

You'll be able to view personalised information, including your renewal date and the details we hold for your licence.

Registering for an account is easy and will allow you to securely access our services 24/7.

To apply for a special event vehicle licence you'll need:

Apply for a vehicle licence

Afterwards, you'll need to send us the following supporting documents:

  • a vehicle test certificate (from one of the approved testing stations)
  • a current insurance certificate and schedule
  • your V5 or proof of purchase


The fee for a special event vehicle (one year) licence is £123.

For our full fee's please see our Hackney carriage and private hire licence fees document. This can be found at the bottom of this page.


There are a number of conditions you need to be aware of.

Vehicle Design

We can consider a stretch limousine for licensing if you can prove that the "stretch" was performed by the manufacturer, or by a coachbuilder approved by the vehicle manufacturer.

Vehicle ages

On the day that your application reaches us:

  • executive vehicles must not be older than five years
  • stretch limousines must not be older than seven years
  • vintage vehicles must not have been constructed after 1 January 1973 (please note; this is in accordance with DVLA taxation class for Historic Vehicles)

Licence Plate

The vehicle licence plate will be required to be fixed to the inside of the boot lid on the vehicle.

Dress code

When driving a special event vehicle you must wear 'smart casual' clothing (no jeans, or t-shirts)

Minimum booking fee

You must charge a minimum booking fee of £30 to book your vehicle.

There are other conditions you'll need to be aware of, please take time to read our conditions booklet. This can be found at the bottom of this page.

Transferring a vehicle

If you transfer vehicle to a new owner the vehicle licence can be passed over to them.

You will need Insurance Certificate and previous vehicle licence from existing licence holder.

The fee is currently £27.50.

Apply for a vehicle transfer licence

Cameras in vehicles

If you own a licensed vehicle you can, subject to the written approval by us, install and use a visible closed circuit TV (CCTV) surveillance camera in your vehicles. This must:

  • face outward and;
  • be for insurance purposes only;
  • must not record audio sound within the vehicle.

If you wish to have an inward facing camera inside your vehicle you also need written approval from us, and you need to be registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). Please see the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) website.