How to licence a special event vehicle such as a wedding car
What is a special event vehicle?
A special event vehicle is one that is solely used for special events such as weddings. It cannot be used for everyday private hire. Examples are:
- a stretch limousine
- a vintage vehicle
- an executive vehicle
Before you apply
Before you apply, your vehicle must pass an MOT test carried out by one of our approved testing stations:
- SC Autos (Tel: 01553 777708)
- Paul Johnson Motor Services (Tel: 01553 691742)
- AVR (Tel: 01553 766646)
- Bees Motors (Tel: 01366 384109)
- Kerry Motor Services (Tel: 01366 381337)
- Setch MOT Centre (Tel: 01553 813074)
Please complete our vehicle application form. If you're unable to download the form, please contact us. We can send an application pack to you.
To apply for a special event vehicle licence you'll need to send with your application:
- an MOT certificate (from one of the approved testing stations)
- a current insurance certificate and schedule
- your V5 or proof of purchase
- the correct fee
- proof of your right to work in the UK - you can find out how on our right to licence check page
The fee for a special event vehicle (one year) licence is £123.
For our full fee's please see our Hackney carriage and private hire licence fees document. This can be found at the bottom of this page.
There are a number of conditions you need to be aware of.
We can consider a stretch limousine for licensing if you can prove that the "stretch" was performed by the manufacturer, or by a coachbuilder approved by the vehicle manufacturer.
On the day that your application reaches us:
- executive vehicles must not be older than three years
- stretch limousines must not be older than seven years
- vintage vehicles must not be more than 21 years
The vehicle licence plate will be required to be fixed to the inside of the boot lid on the vehicle.
When driving a special event vehicle you must wear 'smart casual' clothing (no jeans, or t-shirts)
Minimum booking fee
You must charge a minimum booking fee of £30 to book your vehicle.
There are other conditions you'll need to be aware of, please take time to read our conditions booklet. This can be found at the bottom of this page.
If you transfer vehicle to a new owner the vehicle licence can be passed over to them.
Please complete our transfer form, and provide the supporting documentation asked for. This can be found with our document downloads below.
The fee is currently £27.50.
Cameras in vehicles
If you own a licensed vehicle you can, subject to the written approval by us, install and use a visible closed circuit TV (CCTV) surveillance camera in your vehicles. This must:
- face outward and;
- be for insurance purposes only;
- must not record audio sound within the vehicle.
If you wish to have an inward facing camera inside your vehicle you also need written approval from us, and you need to be registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). Please see the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) website.