Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Private hire operators

How to apply for a private hire operators licence

Operator's licence

You'll need a private hire operator's licence if you accept or invite bookings for private hire vehicles.

A licensed private hire driver can't accept any bookings unless they hold, or work for, a licensed private hire operator.

Before you apply

We must be happy that the premises you are intending to operate from is:

  • suitable
  • will not disturb the local area

You'll also need to check with our planning department that the premises can be used as a taxi booking office. For more information see our planning pages.

If you're applying for an operator's licence you will need a current (within six months) disclosure and basic barring service check (DBS) unless you're already a licensed driver. You can find more information on DBS checks on the GOV.UK website.


Please complete our private hire operator's application form.

To apply for a private hire operators licence you'll need:

  • a current basic DBS check
  • the correct fee
  • a complete list of vehicles and drivers
  • proof of your right to work in the UK - you can find out how on our right to licence check page

Apply or renew a private hire operators licence

A current DBS and proof of right to work is not require if you are already licensed with BCKLWN as a combined driver.


The fee for the licence will depend on the number of vehicles you are going to have on your operator's licence. For our full fees please see our hackney carriage and private hire licence fees document. This can be found below.

Change of name or address

If you change name or address, please tell us so we can change the details on your operator's licence. Please complete our change of name and/or address form.

Report a change