Find out about the Coastal Management Plan (CMP) we're developing for Hunstanton
What is a CMP?
A Coastal Management Plan (CMP) is a plan for managing a beach at a local level for the purposes of Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management.
Hunstanton needs a CMP to help us decide the best way to:
- maintain the protection provided by the promenade (and its associated defences)
- reduce the rate of erosion of the Hunstanton cliffs
The budget for the CMP is £80,000, and we are funding £20,000 of this. We've made a successful bid for the remaining £60,000. It will come from Government funding; the Regional Flood & Coastal Committee (RFCC) Local Levy.
The CMP will be part of a strategy to manage risk to Hunstanton’s coastline that includes two other plans:
- the Shoreline Management Plan (SMP)
- the Wash East Coastal Management Strategy (WECMS)
You can find out more about these plans on the Wash East Coastal Management Strategy page.
Who will prepare the CMP?
The CMP will be prepared by AECOM consultants. There'll be input from the Wash East Coastal Management Strategy (WECMS) Stakeholder Forum. The members of this are:
- Borough Council of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk (Chair)
- Snettisham Parish Council
- Heacham Parish Council
- Hunstanton Town Council
- Norfolk County Council
- Environment Agency (EA)
- Regional Flood & Coastal Committee (RFCC)
- National Farmers Union
- East Wash Coastal Management Community Interest Company
- Heacham South Beach Owners Association
- Heacham North Beach Owners Association
- Natural England
- Marine Management Organisation
- Hunstanton Cliff Top Residents Association
- Country Land and Business Association
- Hunstanton and District Chamber of Trade
- Historic England
- Norfolk Historic Environment Service
- King’s Lynn Internal Drainage Board
- Anglian Water Services
View interim report
You can view the interim report and appendices below:
- Interim base report
- Appendix A (preliminary assessment)
- Appendix B (conditions survey)
- Appendix C (public information board)
- Appendix D (final public information board)
View Option Appraisal Report
You can view the Option Appraisal Report below.
Have your say
You can find the details of previous meetings on our Wash East Coastal Management Strategy page.
If you aren’t involved in any of these groups, you can tell us your views by:
- completing our online survey - our survey closes on 18 May
Timeline for the CMP project
|August 2017||Selection of AECOM as the consultant to complete the Hunstanton Coastal Management Plan|
AECOM start background work. This includes:
AECOM continue to complete background work including:
|January - February 2018||
April - May 2018
Project Team finalise:
|May - June 2018||Present finalised MP and OBC to senior management|
|June onwards 2018||Submit CMP and potential OBC for consideration by relevant approval authority|
If you need to speak to us about the Hunstanton Coastal Management Plan, you can contact us at any time by email.