Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Overseas voters

How to register as an overseas voter

How to register to vote

If you live abroad, are a British Citizen and have been on a UK Register of Electors at any time within the past 15 years, you can register as an overseas voter.

You should register with the local authority where you were last registered as an elector in the UK. You can continue to register with that authority for up to 15 years since your last registration as an ordinary elector.

If you have never been registered as an elector in the UK, you will not be eligible to register as an overseas elector. However, if you left the UK before you were 18 years of age you can register at your parent’s or guardian’s address, providing that you left the country no more than 15 years ago. 

If your parent’s or guardian’s address was not in our area, you will need to contact the local authority where your parent or guardian was last registered.

Your application must reach the electoral registration office within three months of the date that you signed the form. Your registration will last for 12 months and must be renewed every year. It can be cancelled at any time by you. If you are registered in our area, we will send you a reminder two to three months before your registration expires.

The quickest and easiest way to register to vote is online.

Register to vote on GOV.UK

As an overseas voter you may select to have a postal vote. You should note that postal votes are sent out about ten days before election day and must be returned to us by the close of poll on election day. The alternative is to appoint a family member or friend to be your proxy. They will vote on your behalf.

As an overseas voter, you will not be able to vote in local elections.