Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Major and minor developments

Find out the difference between a major and minor development

Major developments

A major development is any application that involves:

  • mineral extraction
  • waste development
  • the provision of 10 dwellings or more
  • a site area of over 0.5 hectare and the number of dwellings is not known 
  • a floorspace of over 1,000sqm or a site area of one hectare

Minor developments

A minor development is anything smaller than the criteria for major developments. For example:

  • the number of dwellings is between one and nine
  • the floorspace is less than 1,000sqm or the site area less than one hectare
  • gypsy and traveller sites - up to nine pitches 

There are other types of development also classed as minor, such as:

  • householder applications
  • change of use
  • adverts
  • listed building consent

You can find out more about applications types on the Planning Portal website.

Applying for planning permission

If you're applying for a development involving mineral extraction, you'll need to apply through Norfolk County Council.

For all other applications, the simplest way to submit your application is online via the Planning Portal. You can find out more on our make a planning application page.