Information if you wish to build your home in West Norfolk
What is custom build and self-build?
Custom build homes are where you work with a developer as an individual or a group to help deliver your own home. The developer may help:
- to find a plot
- manage the construction
- arrange the finance for your new home
This is more of a hands-off approach, but your home will be tailored to match your individual requirements.
Self-build projects are where you directly organise the design and construction of your own home. This covers a wide range of projects, including:
- a traditional DIY self-build home
- projects where the self-builder employs someone to build their home for them
Community-led projects can also be defined as self-build.
The custom and self-build register
If you're interested in self or custom house building, you can apply to join the local register. Keeping this register helps us understand the level of demand for custom and self-build plots. It will help us develop a strategy for matching people to plots in the area.
You can join the register if you're:
- aged 18 or over
- a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
- looking for a plot of land in the area, to build a home to occupy as your sole or main residence
If you would like to register your interest for a custom or self build plot, please complete our online registration form.
To register using our online form you'll need to know:
- your budget for the plot and build
- the size of the home you'd like to build
- the size of the plot you're looking for
Why sign up?
By signing up you'll help us find out more about the demand for custom and self-build plots, including:
- what sort of plots people would like
- the type of home they would like to build
We'll use the information to find ways for people and plots to be brought together. But registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or become available.
Further information and advice
For more information about Custom and Self-Build, you can visit the The Self Build Portal.
You can also visit our: