Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Building control

Information on building regulations, how to apply for building regulations approval, and CNC Building Control

New Building Control Process for Highrise Residential Building

Highrise residential buildings (HRBs) are defined as “residential buildings 18 metres tall or higher, or at least 7 storeys tall, with two or more residential units”. 

From 1 October 2023, any applications for new HRBs, including those formed by change of use or by adding additional storeys, must be made to the new Building Safety Regulator rather than Local Authority Building Control Body / Private Approved Inspectors. This also applies to major alterations to existing HRBs.

In addition, all existing HRBs, whether being altered or not, must be registered with the Regulator.

Further information can be found at:

As of 1 October 2023, CNC will charge an hourly rate of £83.00 to the BSR as the BSR Building Control Hourly Rate. This rate will apply to all HRB related work directed under the BSR and apply in South Norfolk, Fenland, Broadland, Norwich, King's Lynn and West Norfolk local authorities.

What are building regulations?

Most building projects are required to comply with the building regulations. This includes internal alterations, extensions and new builds. It applies both to commercial projects and individual homes. Building control is there to ensure:

  • buildings are safe, dry and warm
  • buildings are energy efficient
  • people can easily access the facilities in the building, and their escape is not compromised in the event of fire
  • the health and safety of people in and around all types of buildings are considered

Please note: Building control is totally separate to planning. You’ll probably still have to apply for building control regulations, even if your project does not require planning permission.

Building regulations approval

For most types of work you’ll need to have building regulations approval, as well as obtaining planning permission. You’ll need to make separate applications for both.

To find out more about the difference between building regulations approval and planning permission, please visit the Planning Portal website.

How to apply

Building control services are now dealt with by CNC Building Control. To apply for building regulations approval please visit the CNC Building Control website.

You can also view the building control fees by following the links below:

Your project will need to be inspected at various stages. At commencement, please contact CNC, and they'll arrange an initial visit. All visits will be on next-day regime if booked before 4pm. At the first visit, the inspector will inform you when they need to come, and what they need to see. 

Once the work has been completed and signed off as satisfactory, a completion certificate will be issued.

Please note, the certificate is an important document you must keep. It will be required by buyers if you ever decide to sell your house. And you may be charged for a duplicate copy to be produced.

To apply for planning permission, please visit our make a planning application page.

CNC Building Control

All building control services in West Norfolk are provided in partnership with CNC Building Control.

CNC Building Control joins together the building control departments of five Local Authorities. In addition to West Norfolk, CNC also includes the building control departments of:

  • Broadland District Council
  • Fenland District Council
  • Norwich City Council
  • South Norfolk District Council 

For further information, including contact details, please visit the CNC website. Or email