Find out about the Coastal Management Plan we're developing for Hunstanton
What is the Hunstanton Coastal Management Plan?
The Hunstanton Coastal Management Plan (HCMP) is a plan for managing Hunstanton’s coastline at a local level for the purposes of flood and coastal erosion risk management.
The Plan covers two key areas, Hunstanton Town (referred to as Unit B) and the Hunstanton Cliffs (referred to as Unit A).
The coastal management plan will help us decide how to:
- maintain the protection provided by the Hunstanton promenade and associated coastal defences
- reduce the rate of erosion at the Hunstanton cliffs and monitor the rate of erosion occurring
The HCMP forms part of a strategy to manage risk to the Hunstanton coastline which includes two other plans:
- The Wash Shoreline Management Plan (SMP 2010)
- The Wash East Coastal Management Strategy (WECMS 2015)
You can find out more about the SMP and the WECMS on the Wash East Coastal Management Strategy page.
Who prepared the HCMP?
The HCMP was prepared by AECOM consultants. There was also input from the Wash East Coastal Management Strategy Stakeholder Forum. The members of this forum include:
- Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk (Chair)
- Heacham North Beach Owners Association
- Snettisham Parish Council
- Natural England
- Heacham Parish Council
- Marine Management Organisation (MMO)
- Hunstanton Town Council
- Hunstanton Cliff Top Residents Association
- Norfolk County Council Country
- Land and Business Association
- Environment Agency (EA)
- Hunstanton and District Chamber of Trade
- Regional Flood and Coastal Committee (RFCC)
- Historic England
- Norfolk Historic Environmental Service
- National Farmers Union
- King’s Lynn Internal Drainage Board
- East Wash Coastal Management Community Interest Company
- Anglian Water Services
- Heacham South Beach Owners Association
Hunstanton Management Coastal Plan documents
The final HCMP report was completed by AECOM consultants in October 2019. You can view the final report, supporting appendices and addendum below.
If you need to speak to us about the Hunstanton Coastal Management Plan, you can contact us at any time by email.