Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Comments, compliments and complaints

How we deal with complaints and compliments


We hope that the service you receive from us meets your needs. If you're unhappy about the service you receive, then you can let us know by following our complaints procedure.

Raising your complaint for the first time

Go back to the service you were dealing with and ask them to resolve your complaint. If you're not sure who to contact, get in touch with our customer services team on 01553 616200. They will point you in the right direction. Alternatively, you could contact your ward councillor. They may make the complaint on your behalf.

Your complaint will be acknowledged within two working days. And we'll do our best to respond within 15 days.

Our overall objective is to resolve problems at this stage and put right any complaints which are upheld. Our reply will clearly explain our position in respect of your complaint.

If you're not satisfied with the response you receive, you can submit a corporate complaint.

Stage one - Making a corporate complaint

Please ensure you've raised your complaint with the service area in question before making a formal corporate complaint.

Ways to submit your complaint:

Make a corporate complaint

If you're unable to make your complaint online you can:

Your complaint will be acknowledged within two working days. The relevant Executive Director, or their authorised representative, will try to respond with a full reply within 15 working days. If the complaint is particularly complex, an interim response will be sent.

Complaints upheld

Where a complaint is upheld:

(i) The Executive Director or their representative will give you a written apology and explanation.

(ii) Where possible the error will be corrected or a satisfactory service will be provided as a matter of urgency.

(iii) Where (ii) is not possible or where you can prove that inconvenience or unsatisfactory service has caused you personal hardship or financial loss, we will compensate you based on the merits of your case.

Complaints not upheld

Where your complaint is not upheld you'll receive a letter of explanation from the appropriate Executive Director or their representative. The letter will set out our reasons for rejecting your complaint.

Stage two - appeal to the Chief Executive or their representative

We do our best to resolve complaints at stage one, but occasionally this is not possible. Should you consider that material aspects of your complaint have not been fully considered and/or addressed, you can appeal against a stage one decision. The Chief Executive, or their representative, will then undertake a review of the investigation of your complaint.

The Chief Executive or their representative will respond direct to you within 20 working days from the date of receipt.

Local Government Ombudsman

In the unlikely event you are not satisfied with the response received from the Chief Executive, you may refer your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. The Local Government Ombudsman is an independent investigator, appointed by Government. Their role is to investigate serious complaints against councils. Their contact details are below. You can also visit the Local Government Ombudsman website.

Local Government Ombudsman Advice Team, PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH

Telephone: Mon-Fri 8.30am to 5.00pm

Tel: 0300 061 0614

Fax: 024 7682 0001

Please be advised that the Ombudsman will want to see any correspondence concerned with the case, so remember to keep copies. A booklet explaining the role of the Local Government Ombudsman and how to make a complaint is available to download at the bottom of this page.

Building control complaints

If you have a complaint regarding CNC Building Control, you can report this on the CNC website.

Anonymous complaints

We understand that it might be difficult for you to complain. Perhaps you're worried that your complaint could result in a poorer service to your household. Please be assured that we treat all complaints against us in the strictest confidence, and that it's your right to complain.

If you don't provide us with a contact name or address, it won't be possible for us to get back to you with the outcome of the investigation.

Complaints about hate crime

If you believe that the actions or comments that have led you to making a complaint are related to hate crime, please complete the discrimination complaint form. Or contact the Executive Director, Central Services. Our discrimination complaint form can be found at the bottom of this page.

Unreasonable Complainants Policy

We have a policy on unreasonable complainants. You can find this at the bottom of this page.

Complaints about Councillors

If you think a Councillor has broken their authority's Code of Conduct you can report them to the Borough Council's Monitoring Officer.

Further details are available on our Complaints about Councillors page.

Comments and compliments

Please tell us if you've been impressed by the service you've received. You can tell us by completing our compliments form.

Submit a compliment

If you have any comments, thoughts or suggestions that you think would improve our service, please contact us using our bespoke form.

Further information

For further information on the complaints process, please contact us. Our contact details are below: