We are committed to providing an efficient and effective delivery of a first class service to customers, businesses and visitors
We aim to:
- deliver services in an inclusive and fair manner, without discrimination, prejudice or bias
- achieve the following standards however you contact us
- work in partnership with other service providers
- try to ensure that partners and other agencies deliver services to a similar high standard
- be polite and treat you with courtesy, fairness, honesty and respect
- make sure council services are accessible to everyone
- listen to you carefully and use Plain English when we speak or write to you
- explain our decisions and the reasons for them
- respect confidentially
- provide interpreting facilities for face to face, telephone and online services
- subscribe to the INTRAN translation service
- provide a British Sign Language interpreter on request (by appointment only)
- provide information in a number of formats upon request as soon as it may be arranged. For example, audio tape, braille, or large print
- provide public meetings in accessible venues. And provide the use of an induction loop or other suitable system for the hearing impaired
Contacting us by telephone
If you contact us by telephone:
- we'll aim to answer calls within three minutes
- we'll greet you courteously and let you know which service you've contacted
- we'll take any messages with care and hand them on immediately
- if we call you, we'll give you our name. We'll tell you we're calling from the council, and explain clearly why we're phoning
Contacting us by email or e-form
If you contact us by email or e-form we'll aim to answer your query within three working days. If we can't answer you fully within those timescales, we'll inform you as soon as possible.
We expect to answer 95% of enquiries in full within ten working days
If you visit us, we will:
- aim to see you within ten minutes of your appointment time (if you have an appointment)
- provide a place to discuss matters in private if you wish
- provide a person who is on hand at all times in the customer waiting area
- provide online facilities for customers to access our services online
If we visit you we will:
- normally agree a time with you in advance. But this may not be possible if the action is to investigate a fraud or enforce an order
- tell you who we are, where we come from and why we're calling. We'll show you our identity card. And we'll give you the opportunity to make a phone call to check our identity before you let us in
Please DO NOT let anyone into your home, unless you know them or have checked their identity card.
Our staff are not expected to stay in situations where they feel threatened either verbally or physically. Or where they fear for their safety.
Any member of the public displaying unacceptable, aggressive or abusive language will have their telephone call terminated. Or if they're visiting, they will be asked to leave immediately. Police will also be called.
Comments, compliments or complaints
We welcome feedback on our services, whether in the form of comments, compliments or complaints. This helps us adapt our services to suit your needs. For more information please see our complaints, comments and compliments page.
Please visit our contact us page.