If your business property is empty you may be entitled to a discount
Unoccupied and empty properties are entitled to an exemption from occupied rates for three months when they become vacant (this is extended to six months for qualifying industrial properties). Following the exemption the full charge is payable.
The following properties are exempt from an occupied charge, until they become occupied:
- for the first three months since last occupied
- for the first six months since last occupied (Qualifying Industrial Premises)
- listed buildings
- buildings with rateable value under £2,900
- buildings owned by charities, if the intention is to use them for charitable purposes in future
- community amateur sports club buildings, if the intention is to use them as a sports club in future
- buildings where the ratepayer is bankrupt, the business is being wound up or in administration, or the ratepayer is deceased
How to apply
Please contact us on 01553 616200 to apply for an exemption.