How to apply for a discount if your business is in a rural area
Rural rate relief
Relief is available to certain businesses in rural areas with a population of less than 3000 people.
Who can apply?
The following can apply:
- sole general store or post offices with a rateable value of less than £8,500
- sole food shops with a rateable value of less £8,500
- sole public house or filling stations with a rateable value of less than £12,500
Who can't apply?
Businesses in the following settlements are not eligible for Rural Rate Relief:
- King's Lynn
- Downham Market
- South Wootton
- Terrington St Clement
What relief can be given?
The relief that can be given is:
- Mandatory Relief - 100% relief is available to those businesses who meet the above criteria
How to apply
The easiest way to apply is to complete an application online.
To apply you'll need:
- your business rates account number (you can find this on your bill)
- your business address
- the number of business employees
Once we've processed your application, we'll send you a bill. The bill will confirm your revised instalments.