Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use



Asbestos advice for home owners and businesses

Asbestos in the home

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has produced an interactive plan identifying where asbestos can be found in the home.

If you have asbestos and it's not damaged, leave it where it is, especially if it's in good condition.

If there is some slight damage, you can paint indoor materials with an alkali resistant paint, for example a PVA emulsion. 

Badly damaged asbestos materials should be removed if they cannot be protected. Do not try to remove asbestos materials yourself if you haven't been trained, use a contractor.

Home improvements

Do not sand, drill or saw materials which may contain asbestos.

If you're employing builders for home improvements, tell them if you think there is asbestos in your home, before they start work. Telling them in advance means they can be prepared, and take the right precautions.

Asbestos removal

It is illegal for you to carry out certain works, including the removal of:

  • pipe lagging
  • spray coatings
  • asbestos insulation board

For works that you can carry out (for example, removal of corrugated asbestos sheets), you'll need to take some safety measures. Please follow the Asbestos Essentials Advice provided by the HSE.

Disposal advice

You must not:

  • place asbestos waste in your normal household waste
  • take asbestos materials to a recycling centre

You must:

  • contact a licensed contractor (check the yellow pages or online for companies)
  • or take the asbestos to a licensed transfer site (you can find one on Norfolk County Councils website)

If you have any concerns about how asbestos is being removed from a domestic property during any works (construction or demolition), please contact the Health and Safety Executive by completing their concerns form as they will enforce any aspects of Health and Safety.

If you are concerned regarding accumulations of waste and associated dusts, please contact