The Sustainability Appraisal (SA) helps evaluate the effects the review will have on an area
About the SA
In preparing the Local Plan review, any plan documents will be subjected to a Sustainability Appraisal. This will also incorporate the requirements of the EU Directive 2001/42/EC on Strategic Environmental Assessments.
The Sustainability Appraisal will help identify and evaluate what effects the document(s)/proposed plans are likely to have on:
- social, and
- economic, and
- environmental conditions of an area
And the SA will help to ensure that the plan takes account of sustainable development objectives.
The Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report is the first step in the review process. And it will be followed by the sustainability appraisal of options as they develop.
The SA guides and informs the choices made as the Plan evolves, and so forms an integral part of the preparation.
A final Sustainability Report has been prepared and can be found below alongside other relevant documents including the:
- SA Report (2020), and
- consultation comments/responses by the three Statutory bodies (Environment Agency, Historic England & Natural England) from August 2020
Local Plan review SA
This version of the Sustainability Appraisal (which incorporates strategic environmental assessment) supports the Local Plan review. It assesses policy and site options, resulting in a set taken forward as preferred options which form part of the plan. It also produces a set of policies and sites which are classed as reasonable alternatives. These are not taken forward and therefore do not form part of the draft plan.
Consultation (Feb 2019)
- Download Draft Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report 2017 & Sustainability Appraisal including Strategic Environmental Assessment) (2019)
Cabinet Version (June 2021)
- BCKLWN- Sustainability Appraisal - Strategic Environmental Assessment Report- 2020
- Sustainability Appraisal (inc. Strategic Environmental Assessment) Scoping Report Update (2020)
- SA/SEA Scoping Consultation comments to the Draft SA/SEA Documents 2019
- Statutory Responses to the SA Scoping Report Update 2020