Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Cost of living - Frequently asked questions

Further information and advice for help with the cost of living

A Direct Debit has gone out of my bank account and now I have no money for food

Food bank vouchers are available through doctors surgeries and housing associations, further details can be found online on King's Lynn Foodbank website.

My electric cooker has broken, and I have no means of cooking

The Norfolk County Council Hardship Service may be able to assist with the replacement of white goods.

I am moving house and need help with buying carpets and white goods

The Norfolk County Council Hardship Service may be able to assist with the replacement of white goods.

My boiler has broken and the house gets very cold

Our Care & Repair team may be able to offer an Emergency Repair Grant.

Your energy supplier may also be able to help or offer advice.

I am self-employed and claim Housing Benefit to help with my rent, but I’m not eligible for help with my Council Tax and am falling behind with my bill

If you're having problems paying your Council Tax, you must tell us. We may be able to help. Your bill will usually be spread over 10 months within the financial year. We may be able to stretch the bill over the full 12 months, reducing your monthly instalments. A claim for Discretionary Housing Payment may also help.

You may also be eligible for a further top up to your income. Further details can be found on the GOV.UK website.

I am struggling to pay for heating oil

The Norfolk County Council Hardship Service may be able to offer emergency help.

I am currently off work due to ill health and will be getting half my wage, so I need help with rent, bills and money for food

Information for financial support for people on low incomes can be found on the GOV.UK website

For help with Council Tax see our Council Tax Support page.

For assistance with your energy bills, speak with your energy provider. Food bank vouchers can be requested from doctor's surgeries and housing associations.

I have been referred to hospital, but I can’t get there

The Healthcare Travel Cost Scheme may be able to assist.

Further cost of living support and advice is available on our resident support page and the cost of living support on GOV.UK

How do I get the cost of living payment from the government?

If you receive certain benefits or tax credits, you may be eligible for extra payments to help with the cost of living.

The Government website GOV.UK has information about who is entitled to these payments and how these will be paid.