Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Report a repair issue

What your landlord is responsible for repairing, and how to report a repair issue

What your landlord should do

Your landlord must keep the property in a safe condition and free from health hazards.

Your landlord must:

  • arrange for an annual gas safety check by a registered gas contractor on any gas appliance/heating (they should provide you with a copy of the certificate)
  • provide a smoke detector on every storey of the property
  • provide a carbon monoxide detector in any room that is used partly or wholly as living accommodation which also contains any appliance which burns, or is capable of burning, solid fuel

A landlord is always responsible for repairs to:

  • the structure and exterior of the property including drains, gutters and pipes
  • internal fixings (basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fixings)
  • common areas (for example, shared staircases in blocks of flats)
  • installations for the supply of water, fixed gas appliances, electrical wiring, pipes, flues and ventilation

Repair issues

If you have any repair concerns you should:

  • report these to your landlord or lettings agent in writing, outlining the repairs or issues that need attention
  • allow a reasonable time for the landlord to investigate the problems
  • try to be as flexible as possible with your availability for any appointments, and allow access for inspections or repairs to be carried out

More information on how to report repairs, including a suggested way of writing a letter or email can be found on the Shelter website.

For information regarding condensation, damp and mould please read our condensation leaflet.

If you're still having repair issues with your property after following our steps, please complete our report a repair issue form below.

To complete our report a repair issue form, you'll need:

  • landlord details (including your landlord's telephone number)
  • tenancy details (including tenancy start date and rent paid)
  • to have exhausted the complaints procedure with your Housing Association (if applicable)*

Report a repair issue

*If the landlord of your property is a registered social landlord (Housing Association) you'll need to exhaust the complaints procedure with your landlord first. If, after doing so, they still have not dealt with your issues sufficiently, please complete our report form. Please include evidence to show the complaints procedure has been exhausted.

What happens next?

Once we've received your form, we'll contact your landlord to raise the matters of disrepair. We may also arrange an inspection of the property, and we may invite your landlord to attend this inspection.

If you have urgent repairs that may soon affect your health or safety, please contact us on 01553 616200 to let us know about the issue.