Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use



How to apply for a licence to run a campsite for tents

How to apply

You're not allowed to use land you own as a campsite for tents or similar structures unless you hold a site licence issued by us (under the Public Health Act 1936).

Please complete our application form, and send it into us. Please also send a site plan at 1:500 scale showing the layout of roads, pitches and facilities.

Please note, there is no fee for a licence, but we cannot issue a licence without corresponding planning permission. Please contact our planning reception on 01553 616200 to discuss whether you require planning permission. An application will require a planning discussion notice along with a site plan and current fire risk assessment.

Apply for a moveable dwellings (tents) site licence

If you're unable to apply via GOV.UK, you can download our paper form.


There are some exceptions where a licence is not needed; they are:

  • sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club
  • sites occupied by the local authority (these are usually gypsy sites)
  • sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites, and travelling salesmen
  • sites occupied by moveable dwellings (including tents) that are used for a maximum of 42 consecutive days and no more than 60 days in a year

Licence conditions

Your licence will have conditions attached to it, including things you must do in relation to spacing, water supply, drainage,  and fire precautions. For further information please see our moveable dwellings condition booklet at the bottom of this page.

Copies of the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960, and other relevant legislation, can be found on the webpage.

Further information

For further information please contact us, our contact details are below.