Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Large holiday sites

How to apply for a licence for a large holiday site

How to apply

Under the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960, you're not allowed to use land you own as a caravan site, unless you hold a site licence issued by us.

A large holiday site is one which has more than three caravans on site for a temporary period.

To apply for a large holiday site licence please complete our application form. Please send it to us with a site plan at 1:500 scale showing the layout of roads, caravans and facilities.

Apply for a caravan site licence

Please note, there is no fee for a licence. But, a licence cannot be issued without corresponding planning permission. Please contact the planning reception on 01553 616200 to discuss whether you require planning permission. 

If you're unable to apply via GOV.UK, you can download our paper form.


There are some exceptions, where a licence is not required, these are:

  • where these are three caravans on a site of more than five acres, for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
  • sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club
  • sites occupied by the local authority (these are usually gypsy and traveller sites)
  • sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen
  • sites occupied by moveable dwellings (including tents) may be used up to a maximum of 42 consecutive days and not more than a total of 60 days in any period of 12 months

Licence conditions

Your licence will have conditions attached to it, which look at things such as spacing, water supply, drainage, and fire precautions. For more information please see our large holiday site conditions document at the bottom of this page.

Copies of the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960, and other legislation, can be downloaded from the webpage.

Transferring a licence

You can transfer your licence to a new occupier if required. Please complete our transfer application form

Further information

For further information please contact us, our contact details are below.