Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Small holiday sites

Information on how to apply for a small holiday site

How to apply

Under the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960, you're not allowed to use land you own as a caravan site, unless you hold a site licence issued by us.

A small holiday site is one which has three or less caravans on site for a temporary period.

Please complete our application form. Your application form must be accompanied by a site plan at 1:500 scale showing the layout of roads, caravans and facilities.

Please note, there is no fee for a licence. But, a licence cannot be issued without corresponding planning permission. Please contact the planning reception on 01553 616200 to discuss whether you require planning permission.

Apply for a caravan site licence

If you're unable to apply via GOV.UK, you can download our paper form.


There are some exceptions where a licence is not required, these are:

  • a caravan sited on the grounds of a property that is being used as an extra bedroom
  • a single caravan sited for no more than two consecutive nights (or for a maximum of 28 days in a year)
  • up to three caravans on a site more than five acres, for a maximum of 28 days in a year
  • sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club
  • sites occupied by the local authority (these are usually gypsy and traveller sites)
  • sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites, and travelling salesmen
  • sites occupied by moveable dwellings (including tents) that are used up to a maximum of 42 consecutive days, and not more than a total of 60 days in a year

Licence conditions

Your licence will have conditions which look at things such as spacing, water supply, drainage, and fire precautions. For more information please see our small holiday sites conditions document at the bottom of this page.

Copies of the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960, and other legislation, can be downloaded from the website.

Transferring your licence 

You can transfer your licence to a new occupier if required. Please complete our transfer application form.

Further information

For further information, please contact us. Our contact details are below.