Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Pubs and alcohol licensed premises

Information on gaming machines at pubs and alcohol licensed premises

Gaming machines of Category C or D

Gaming machines of Category ‘C’ or ‘D’ may be offered in premises which are licensed under the Licensing Act for the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises. The premises must not have a condition on the licence which restricts the supply of alcohol with food. And the machines can only be provided when the bar is open.

For more information on gaming machine categories please see our gaming machine categories page.

Up to two gaming machines

Pubs have an automatic entitlement to provide up to two gaming machines of Category ‘C’ or ‘D’ subject to a simple notification. The fee is currently £50 for this.

The automatic entitlement is linked to the Licensing Act premises licence, and will expire on transfer or if the premises licences ceases to exist.

To apply please complete our notification of a licensed premises for up to 2 gaming machines application form.

More than two gaming machines

Pubs that want to offer more than two gaming machines of Category ‘C’ or ‘D’ may apply for a licensed premises gaming machine permit. The fee is currently £150 and attracts a £50 annual fee. 

The Licensed Premises Gaming Machines permit is also linked to the Licensing Act premises licence but can be transferred on change of licence holder.

To apply please complete our licensed premises gaming machine permit application form.