Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


People who aren't counted for Council Tax

Information on who isn't liable to pay Council Tax

Who isn't counted?

People in the following categories may not be liable to pay Council Tax, and will not count towards the bill (known as a disregard):

  • full-time students and non-British spouses of students, student nurses, apprentices and Youth Training trainees
  • patients resident in hospital
  • people being looked after in care homes
  • people who are severely mentally impaired
  • people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at, or have just left school
  • certain types of care workers
  • certain carers
  • members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)
  • people with diplomatic privileges or immunities
  • members (and dependants) of International Headquarters and Defence organisations
  • members and dependants of visiting forces

Apply for a disregard discount

To apply for a discount you'll need to know:

  • your Council Tax account number (you can find this on your bill)
  • the number of residents in your home

Apply for a disregard discount

Tell us of a change

If you no longer qualify for the discount, you must tell us. Please visit our tell us about a change page.