Helpful information to assist you in completing an application form for a job with us, and advice on interviews
Do's and don'ts
If you're thinking of applying for a job, we have some helpful do's and don'ts for completing your form. And our full guidance notes will help you give your best to your application.
- read the job description and personal specification thoroughly
- complete each section of the online application fully
- highlight in the additional information section of your application how you meet the knowledge, skills and attitudes required for the post
- ensure you provide two referees, one of which needs to be your most recent employer (please ensure that you have asked the referees permission first
- submit your completed application form by the specified closing date
- fully complete the Equal Opportunities section of your form - this section is kept confidential within Personnel
- look out for your confirmation e-mail to ensure your application form has been successfully submitted
- register for a job alert if there is nothing at the moment that you would like to apply for to ensure that you receive an e-mail as soon as we advertise a post which may be of interest to you
- use your CV as a replacement for the application form
- miss out information on your application form - the shortlisting officer can only shortlist on the information which you provide them on your form
- try to submit your completed application form late, your application form will not be considered
- change your application once it has been submitted as it will already be processed and we will not see the changes made
If you need further assistance completing your application form, have a look at our guidance notes for applicants page.
Arrangement for interviews
The procedure for offering an interview is:
- successful applicants will be invited for interview within three weeks from the closing date
- if successful you'll be sent an interview invite email with information on what to bring to your interview
Please ensure you bring all the relevant information with you to your interview, as the documents need to be photocopied as part of the interview process.
If you're selected for interview, and you have any access or special needs which will help you to attend the interview (for example, a sign language interpreter, wheel chair access or a loop system), then please advise us when confirming your attendance for interview.
You may be asked to complete a work based exercise assessment as part of the interview process, you will be informed of this in your interview letter. Please do not let this put you off attending the interview , they are only one part of the selection process.
The exercises have been specially selected so they are particularly relevant to the vacancy you have applied for. They will give an indication of your strengths and weaknesses in relation to some of the duties detailed in the job description. They are not dependent on your educational experience.
The exercises remain confidential at all times.
During the interview
Our interview process is as follows:
- interviews are always carried out by at least two people
- the panel will have a standard set of questions to ask all candidates, and there will be follow up questions depending on your answers
- the panel will be taking notes throughout, these will be used to recall your answers
Please ensure that you bring all paperwork with you as requested in your interview letter, this will be photocopied during the interview process.
At the end of the interview, the panel will tell you when they will make their decision.
After the interview
The successful applicant will be telephoned and provisionally offered the position. This will be subject to two satisfactory written references and a medical enquiry form. If the post works with children and/or vulnerable adults, it will also be subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
References will be requested via an email. You'll receive a provisional offer letter and the medical form to complete.
If you're unsuccessful you'll receive an email to advise you. If you have been unsuccessful, do not be discouraged from seeking further opportunities within us again in the future.