Forties Lynn 2019
Sunday 21 July 2019
10am to 4pm
Town Hall, Stories of Lynn, Lynn Museum and Tuesday Market Place
This popular event returns to take visitors back in time to the 1940s, to discover what life was like for residents of Lynn during the Second World War.
Activities will take place around the town centre, including:
In the town hall you can take part in a tea dance, hear from an ARP Warden and Billeting Officer and enjoy a tea or coffee served by the RAF Cadets. Don’t forget to collection your Ration Book to claim your free sweet ration at Lynn Museum.
Over at Stories of Lynn you’ll find one of the ‘Brill Cream Boys’, an RAF pilot talking about his job and where he flies. In the cells visitors can meet a German Fallscrimjager (paratrooper). Meanwhile kids can make Spitfire Fund badges and meet the archivist recording all the bombs dropped on Kings Lynn.
Over at Lynn Museum you can meet a Land Army Girl, handle real artefacts from the 1940s, learn how to cook on the ration, visit the sweet shop and try their hand at Make Do and Mend crafts.
Around the town
- Meet Winston Churchill
Tuesday Market Place
- On the stage - Speeches from Churchill. Eddie Seales Big Band playing at 11:30am and 1:40pm for 45 minute sets each time. Sarah Mai playing 1940s songs at 12:45pm and 2:45pm for 45 minutes each time.
- Dad's Army volunteers.
- Civil defenders.
- Air raid shelter open.
- Harris Hair - selling 40s fashion, vintage bric a brac and clothes.
- JRW Collectables - Selling WW2 military and homefront memorabilia.
- The Norfolk Military Vehicle Group
- Christopher Page. A display about serving in Egypt.
- IB Chippy. Fish and chips and retro ice cream.